This week’s recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, A Beautiful Bowl of Soup, the best vegetarian recipes, by Paulette Mitchell. This particular soup is a vegan recipe and always a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups vegetable stock
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
6 cups coarsely shredded spinach
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup orzo
1/4 cup lemon juice
1) Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
2) Add the bell pepper and garlic. Continue to cook until the bell pepper is soft.
3) Add the vegetable stock and tomatoes with juice.
4) Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach, parsley, and orzo. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the spinach is wilted and the orzo is tender.
5) Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
I usually double this recipe for my family of 5.