I've spent the last few mornings pulling english ivy and other non-native invasives from my yard. I've heard that many find the task of weeding to be satisfying and even rewarding. I. do. not. I find it to be sweaty and exhausting, and with the constant threat of poison ivy, a little bit scary. So I need an easy and tasty dinner for tonight!
I found this tasty recipe for an easy “burger” grill in the summer Martha Stewart Living magazine. I made a few little changes and additions (in parentheses).
- 4 slices eggplant, about 1 inch thick
- 1 large red onion, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds (I used sweet onion, like vidalia)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing (I used olive oil spray or mist)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 pound mozzarella, cut into slices
- 4 brioche buns, preferably with sesame seeds, halved (I used King’s Hawaiian hamburger rolls)
- 4 small leaves of Bibb or Boston lettuce (I used spinach, because that’s what was in my frig, and all worked out OK!)
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves (we added slices of tomato)
- Preheat grill. Spray eggplant and onion with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill onion until it’s softened.
- Grill eggplant on one side. Flip and add cheese to new side. Grill until cheese is melted.
- Layer basil, eggplant with cheese, onion, tomato, and spinach on roll and enjoy!