Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 8 cups arugula
- 2 Red Delicious or Fuji apples, unpeeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Spanish Manchego cheese or sharp white cheddar cheese, shaved
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates, sliced
- 1 cup Caramelized Walnuts
- 4 large shallots, minced
- Boil balsamic vinegar in small saucepan over medium-high heat until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk oil and Champagne vinegar in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature. Rewarm balsamic syrup before using. Rewhisk vinaigrette before using.)
- Toss arugula, apples, half of cheese, dates, walnuts, and shallots in large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.
- Mound salad in center of each plate. Drizzle balsamic syrup around salads. Sprinkle remaining cheese atop salads. Enjoy!