- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1 2/3 cups unsalted pistachios (I didn't remove the skins. The soup didn't taste any different, but wasn't as bright a green. For instructions on removing skins, see the cookbook)
- 2 tblsp butter
- 4 shallots, chopped
- just a little bit of chopped ginger (I used pre-chopped from a jar)
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups veggie broth (the recipe calls for chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the boiling water over the saffron and let it sit for 30 minutes
- Roast the pistachios in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Heat butter in a large pot and add shallots, ginger, leek, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and some black pepper. Saute until shallots are soft. Add veggie broth and 1/2 of saffron liquid. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Put all but 1 tblsp of pistachios (this tbslp will be used for garnish) in a bowl along with half the soup. Blend with a stick blender and then add back to the rest of the soup. Add orange and lemon juice, reheat and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with pistachios, sour cream and remaining saffron liquid. Serves 4.