Happy Veteran's Day to my favorite veterans -- my dad, husband, brother, and niece!
In honor of my dad, today's meat-free recipe includes Phil's cornbread! The soup recipe is adapted from the March 2013 issue of Cooking Light(I made this version a little more chunky, a little lighter on the spices). Serve with Phil’s Cornbread – it’s what we’re eating tonight!
- 11 oz jar of tomatillos, chopped very small
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- the equivalent of 2 jalapeno peppers, from jarred jalapenos
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 8 oz. bunches of kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 29 oz. can hominy, rinsed and drained
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar
1) Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and jalapeno, and saute for about 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic and cumin; saute for about 2 more minutes
3) Add tomatillos, broth, water, salt, red pepper, black beans, and kale. Heat for about 10 minutes, or until the kale becomes tender.
4) Add the hominy for about 5 minutes and serve warm.
5) Garnish with sour cream, cheddar, and cilantro.
Serves a hungry family of five, with a little bit for leftovers!
Be sure to “Like” greenmomster on facebook for your weekly meat-free Friday recipes!
Post a Comment