Here’s your meat-free Friday recipe on Saturday morning! No worries – this recipe is great for weekends too. It’s adapted from Lighten up, y’all: Classic Southern Recipes made Healthy and Wholesome, by Virginia Willis.
Southern Style Shepherd’s Pie with Grits
- 1/2 cups stone-ground grits –cook according to package directions
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tblsp jar garlic
- 2 packages Quorn Chick’n Tenders (thawed)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 (9oz) bag of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tblsp oregano
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- While the grits are cooking, heat the oil in a large pot. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook until starting to soften. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the chick’n tenders and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour in wine and add spinach. Cover the pot and simmer until the spinach starts to wilt. Add oregaano.
- Add the parmesan cheese to the grits and stir well.
- Pour the chick’n/vegetable mixture into the pan and spread across the bottom of the pan. Top with the grits, spreading the grits evenly with a wet rubber spatula, and cook until the grits are set and golden brown, about 30 – 40 minutes.
Post a Comment