- 4 cups (32 oz container) vegetable broth
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp truffel oil (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package veggie Italian soysage, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 lb mixed mushrooms, sliced (I like to mix shitake, oyster, and cremini)
- 2 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby spinach, washed
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1) In a large measuring cup, combine broth with 2 cups of water and set aside.
2) Heat oils in a large pot and add onion, cooking for 3 minutes. Add soysage and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for about a minute. Add wine and cook until the liquid is almost gone (about another minute)
3) Add 1/2 cup of the broth-water mixture. Stir frequently and when the liquid is gone, add another 1/2 cup. Keep adding liquid until the rice is tender.
4) Stir in crushed tomatoes and pepper.
5) Add in spinach and allow it to wilt.
6) Remove the risotto and stir in the cheese, and serve immediately. If you have kids who don’t like cheese, just use it as a garnish at the table, instead of stirring in.