Potato and Cabbage Soup
- 1 small head of cabbage, coarsely chopped into 1 to 2 inch squares
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme (about 1 1/2 tablespoons if you’re using dried thyme)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (I used a little more)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot and saute the onion, potatoes, salt, and pepper for about 5 minutes
- Add vegetable broth and water; boil until the potato is just soft enough to mash.
- Using a hand potato masher, mash the potatoes in the soup until half the potatoes are mashed and half are still in chunks. If you really like a smooth soup, instead of hand-mashing, use a blender to puree about half the soup.
- Add cabbage and thyme; cook until cabbage is soft.
- Makes about 4 servings.
Post a Comment