This week’s recipe comes from Food Network; it’s Trisha Yearwood’s Chickless Pot Pie! It won rave reviews from the entire family! Here’s the recipe, with a few changes that I made.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- In a medium pot, combine the carrots, peas, potatoes, and celery. Cover with water and boil until potatoes are tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook the onions in butter until they are soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed (and garlic powder if you used it). Cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add broth and milk. Allow to simmer until thick. Remove from heat and stir in the veggies. (I actually messed up this step, and cooked all of the veggies, including the onions, first. Then I mixed in the spices and liquids. It worked just fine and saves cleaning a pot!)
- Line a pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Pour in the veggie mixture. Top with the other pie crust (cut a few slits to let the steam out). Don’t overfill the pie crusts, or your top pie crust will split.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes or until crusts are golden brown and the middle is bubbly. If the pie crusts get to dark, just cover them with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.
Enjoy! And just in case you need a little Trisha Yearwood playing while you cook (am I wrong, or is that Matthew McConaughey?)