Spicy Vegetarian Peanut Soup
This one’s a winner! I found it in the Washington Post Food section. The recipe was developed by Mark Furstenberg for his bakery, Bread Furst. I doubled the recipe (this version makes 5 1/2 cups) and didn’t puree the entire thing – I left some tomatoes, peanuts, celery, etc for a little crunch. Also, if you’re not a fan of heat, be sure to cut the cayenne pepper. Enjoy! (photo credit: Deb Lindsey for Washington Post)
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add onion and celery. Cook until softened (about 10 minutes)
- Stir in cayenne pepper, ginger, curry and garlic; cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Add in tomatoes, veg broth, and salt and cook for about 30 minutes.
- In a blender, blend peanut butter and sour cream. Slowly add ladles of the warm soup and puree (leave the center off the lid of the blender and cover with a towel instead). Blend the mixture and repeat until the soup is the consistency you like.
- Serve with sour cream, peanuts, and cilantro.