And I found it! The best eggplant recipe ever (right after eggplant parm, that is). Super easy and tasty, this recipe comes from Food52 Vegan, by Gena Hamshaw. The only changes I made was to add some parmesan cheese as a topping and serve on quinoa instead of brown rice or toast. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 lb tomatoes, chopped
- about 1 small eggplant, chopped into 1 inch pieces and lightly salted
- about 2 small zucchinis, chopped into half slices
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (or 4 tsp jar garlic)
- 3 cups (or two cans) of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- parmesan cheese
- cooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- On a large pan, combine tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onion, shallot, garlic, and chickpeas. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, thyme, and salt. Drizzle over vegetables and stir. Season with pepper.
- Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring halfway through.
- Serve over quinoa, garnished with parmesan cheese and basil.