Have you forgotten why Meat-Free Friday is a great idea for the environment? Be sure to check greenmomster’s post on the topic.
This week’s recipe is adapted from the November 2012 issue of Martha Stewart Living. I made it for my family this week and it was a big hit! Serve it with some soup and a salad, and you’ve got an easy Friday night meal. Note: I played fast and loose with theingredient amounts for this recipe and it still turned out very tasty!
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 or 6 celery stalks, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used much more)
- 2 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 apples, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
1) Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and generously season with salt. Add celery and simmer for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and sweet potatoes and simmer for an additional 2 or 3 minutes. Take veggies out of the water and cool for about 15 minutes.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and cook onions until almost clear. Add remaining oil, apples and veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Stir the mixture and then press into a single layer with a spatula. Cook for about 2 minutes. Mix and repeat until the vegetables are soft.
4) Remove from heat, stir in sage, and enjoy!
Want to get reminders of weekly meat-free Friday recipes? Like us on Facebook!