Be sure to "like" greenmomster on Facebook for your daily dose of green news!
Today is World Oceans Day! Why do we celebrate World Oceans Day? Well let's find out from the day's sponsor, the UN:
- To remind everyone of the major role the oceans have in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- To inform the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.
- To develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean.
- To mobilize and unite the world's population on a project for the sustainable management of the world's oceans. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the ocean.
The oceans play an important role in human survival. Although oceans cover over 70% of the Earth's surface, we've only explored about 10% of the entire ocean! Oceans absorb carbon dioxide and regulate weather patterns. And they contain over 20 million tons of gold -- who knew!
How can you help protect the ocean?
- Decrease your carbon footprint (drive less, insulate your house, eat less meat) -- the oceans can only absorb so much CO2 before we start to see negative effects from ocean acidification
- When choosing to eat seafood, refer to the handy-dandy Seafood Watch tool to make more sustainable choices.
- Protect your storm drains! Don't let plastics and other trash head into the storm drain -- eventually it ends up in the sea.
- Just say no to single use plastic bags. They often end up in the ocean, and they're deadly to sea life.
- Don't purchase items that exploit marine life, such as coral jewelry, tortoise shell or shark products.
- Educate yourself about oceans and then get involved in protecting the oceans.