I found out about this week’s recipe while watching Martha Stewart on the Today Show. I’ve taken her Tomato and Zucchini Tart and made a few changes to make the recipe a little more weeknight-friendly. It was a big hit with the family!
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced (yellow and red look nice)
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced and steamed until tender
- 1 prepared, refrigerated pie crust (I like Immaculate Ready-to-Bake Pie Crusts)
- 1 garlic (about 6 or 7 cloves), roasted in tin foil at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until cloves are soft and spreadable
- about 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (more or less, depending on your love of cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out pie crust in a pie pan. Spread the roasted garlic on the pie crust.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese on the pie crust.
- Arrange the zucchini on the bottom of the pie. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on another 1/2 cup cheese.
- Arrange the tomatoes on the zucchini layer. Sprinkle with final 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes (to prevent over-browning of the pie crust edges, cover them with foil once they’re golden brown)
Don’t forget to “like” greenmomster on Facebook for all the meat-free Friday recipes and other environmental news!