Like getting all the latest news and recipes on Greenmomster? Be sure to“Like” us on Facebook!
Here’s a tasty recipe for cool fall nights – we’re planning to have it on Halloween night! Not a quick recipe, but the end-result is filling and a crowd pleaser. I adapted this recipe from one found in the November 2013 issue of Cooking Light.
4 cups veggie broth
2 cups water
12 slices Morningstar Farm veggie bacon strips, microwaved to crunchy
2 tblsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp thyme
3 tsp jar garlic
8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
8 ounces sliced shitake mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups uncooked barley
3 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup chopped, drained oil packed sundried tomatoes
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine water and veggie broth and warm in a large pot
- Heat olive oil. Saute onion, thyme, and garlic until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and salt and cook until the mushrooms are soft (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in barley and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups broth and cook until almost absorbed. Continue to add broth mixture, one cup at a time, until broth is absorbed and barley is soft.
- Stir in 1/2 Gruyere, tomatoes, soy sauce, pepper, spinach, and crumbled “bacon.”
- Place barley mixture into a greased glass baking pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
Post a Comment