This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found in Family Circle Magazine. Feel free to play with the amounts of rice, corn, or even spices – I’ve had to alter amounts when I didn’t have enough of an ingredient, and everything turned out A- OK. When you make it, be sure to double the recipe and freeze a pan for another quick meal!
Burrito Casserole (photo credit: Ann Stratton, Family Circle Magazine)
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 jar red salsa -- use one you think is really tasty
1 15oz. can refried beans -- I like Whole Foods 365 Refried Black Beans
1 10 oz. package frozen corn (you can thaw it, but I don't)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded taco cheese blend
1 16 oz. package of frozen spinach (you can thaw it, but I don't)
3 tblsp chopped cilantro
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13 x 8 baking pan with olive oil spray.
2) Cook rice.
3) In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa, and oregano.
4) In another large bowl, combine the refried beans, corn, chile powder, and cumin.
5) Now it's time to make the layers. Spread half the rice mixture in the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the refried beans mixture and half the cheese over the rice. Then spread the spinach over the cheese. Top with the remaining rice mixture and cheese.
6) Bake for approximately 35 minutes and sprinkle with cilantro before serving.