On meat-free Fridays, my family has proven it’s got some pretty good cooks (Phil’s cornbread and Jaska’s Gazpacho), and now cousin Fran Auferio is adding to our list of family favorites! Sometimes it’s fun and tasty to have breakfast for dinner, so this indulgent recipe is definitely one I can’t wait to try!
For all your meat-free Friday recipes, be sure to “Like” greenmomster on Facebook.
Make Ahead French Toast
- 16 oz loaf French or Italian bread sliced 1/2 inch thick (I use semolina bread) 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Topping: 12 tbsp unsalted butter softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- 5 oz pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Arrange bread on a single layer on two baking sheets. Bake until dry and lightly golden about 25 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through baking time. Allow the bread to cool.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13" baking dish with butter.
- Layer the baked bread tightly in the prepared dish -- you should have two layers.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and pour evenly over the bread. Press lightly on the bread to submerge.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 350°.
- For the topping, mix the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth, then stir in the pecans.
- Take the casserole out of the refrigerator and unwrap. Spoon the topping over the casserole, then spread it in an even layer.
- Place the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden about 60 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!