Many of us think we know a lot about environmental issues, but how much do we really know? Here’s a great quiz, posted by the City of Tulsa OK , that can give you an idea of your “environmental IQ”.
Here’s an additional little quiz to help you figure out what’s in your backyard and become more aware of your local environment. Unfortunately, I can’t provide the answers for every locale --if you don’t know the answers, I guess you know what you’ve got for homework!
- In which watershed do you live? A watershed is a topographical area that drains to one body of water. So where does your stormwater drain – what’s the name of your local creek?
- What’s the source of your drinking water? (groundwater, surface water (which body of water?))
- What happens to your garbage when it leaves your house? Does it go to a landfill, incinerator, etc?
- Name two bird species that live in your area year-round.
- Name two bird species that migrate in and out of your area every year.
- What’s the source of your electric power? (coal, natural gas, nuclear, solar?)
- Where’s your local wastewater treatment plant? (usually, it’s pretty easy to Google this one!)