Treehouse Chats), who got it from Cooking Light, May 2010. (photo from Cooking Light)This recipe comes from Thom Mistele (see his interview in
Spicy Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew
Berbere spice can be ordered online from MySpiceSage. (Thom got his order in under 48 hours.)
Ingredients:2 tsp canola oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ Tbsp Berbere spice
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup red lentils, dried
¼ tsp salt
Directions:1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 15 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add ginger and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in tomato paste and Berbere spice; cook 1 minute, stirring to combine.
4. Gradually add broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a simmer.
5. Rinse lentils under cold water and drain. Add lentils to the broth mixture and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in salt and remove from heat.
6. Serve over basmati rice and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings (1 cup per serving).